Sunday, November 13, 2011

Taking Old Jewelry and Turning It Into New Jewelry

I had gotten a ton of antique clip on earrings that were from my grandmother and great grandmother. They were beautiful but they hurt my ears so I couldn’t wear them.  So I took them apart and used them to make a beautiful antique styled bracelet. 


 I liked the rectangle ones I loved the colors.  I noticed they had holes on the sides so I decided to turn them into beads. So I took them apart. Using pliers I took off the part of the earrings that clip on to your ears. You just wiggle them a little back and forth and they come right off.



Then I took a pink clip on earring and using wire cutters cut the wire in between the beads and took them apart. I used the pink beads to make earrings which I will another tutorial on how to make earrings later.



  I noticed the back of the earring had this beautiful snowflake like pattern to it. So I turned it into a charm
Again using pliers I took off the part of the earrings that clip on to your ears. Wiggle them a little back and forth and they come right off.


Using the pliers bend the extra metal in towards itself creating a loop you may have to straighten it out and adjust it a little. The metal was very flimsy and easy to bend.


Then I took a necklace. Cut the string and took off the beads. 

Using the clip on earing and the beads from the necklace and some other beads laying around and  I arranged it how I wanted it.


            Then I strung them with elastic. I strung a piece of elastic through the top left row, strung it trough a crimping bead, then through on of the holes of the rectangle bead, then back through the crimping bead and using crimping pliers squeezed it shut. I repeated this for the second row. I repeated this for the top row of the middle section and the bottom. Then I repeated it for the top and bottom row of the right side.  Then take the ends of the top row and square knot them together. Then take the ends of the bottom row and square knot them together. It is recommended that you put a drop of glue on the knots to seal them.


Voilà! your finished product is a brand new antique styled bracelet.


1 comment:

  1. I Love Assemblage Art... the Jewelry is always OOAK and repurposes Beautiful Vintage pieces in new and exciting ways... your Bracelet is so very Boheme' & the Family History behind the materials used to make it is Priceless ... LOVE IT!

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete